Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Kayla Christine

KAYLA CHRISTINE..ok, only one more birth story..maybe

Kayla Christine, January 26, 1992.

Here we go again. Another labor and delivery story from yours truly. At the time of my 2nd pregnancy, Bret and I were living with his father. We were house sitting for his mother who was about to embark on her yearly trip to Aruba. It was snowing and I had been having contractions all day. My significant other decided I was not in labor and it was the night before the Super Bowl and he was going out. I really could have cared less. So, can you guess what happened next..yup..mucus plug again. This time I was waiting until the very last minute until I would leave for the hospital. So, I showered, put make up on, did my hair and toes, ( that is right, folks, no neon socks this time!). I told grandmom to be that I was in labor. Needless to say, she was too busy getting ready for vacation that the birth of her grandaughter. So, I was off on a mission to reach their dad. Could not. Called my very good friend, Linda, whose boyfriend was out with mine. She drove me to the hospital and eventually he arrived.

Kayla was there in 3 hours. SuperBowl Sunday Baby! Beautiful, weighing in at 7 lbs, 13 ounces and 19 1/2 inches. I held her the entire night and cried. I had never felt so much emotion in my life. My life, so I thought, was complete. However, I was not speaking to my mom when I had Kayla. So, I called her. I had to have my mom back in my life. I missed her. And my daughter needed a real grandmother. Not one who was too busy heading off to Aruba. And I needed my mother. It was the best reunion ever. And all due to Kayla. She is my pride and joy. Except when she gets mouthy. But, she is a teenager now. And nothing will ever take those few precious hours after she was born away from me. They were the quietest, most peaceful, meaningful hours of my life.

No comments: